Sunday, September 7, 2014

DOG SCIENCE

I am taking the Snapshot photo class at Studio Calico this month.  One of the prompts we had was "Noise".  My dog can hear me touch his bag of treats in the kitchen from the other side of the house while under the covers in our bedroom.  I touch the bag, I hear the click of his toes coming down the hallway and he presents himself right at my feet, then begs.  I did not teach him to do that, he learned that on his own.  He also watches TV that way with me too. I am not sure he knows he is a dog.
I had lot of fun with this one and took a scientific approach to the topic.  I cut the title using a font on my laptop using the Cricut Explore.  I stamped and punched the circles in Coral Bay and Sunny Day ink by Studio Calico.  I painted the background using SC masks in Something Blue and Sunny Day Acrylic Paints. For the mat I just used the Sunny day since the blue was more predominant on the background.  I used another SC Mask.  I cut the mat in waves around the edges and used the strips I cut on the sides, sewing them down to the background.  I really liked the effect they had when I folded them up.   Being so bright the contrast was too much between the photo and the page elements, so I sprayed some dark blue mist over the paints on the left and then lighted it a smidge with a white gelato pen.  It gave the page more balance and depth in its textures.

 I left a small strip on the side white to journal on.  The atomic symbol was die cut on the Explore by using a stamp in photoshop on a blank new project then saved as a png. file. I then imported the file into the explore to create the cut. Whoever thinks you can't design with this machine is wrong.  I haven't found anything I wanted to create impossible yet. I then splattered sequins from various SC packages on the right side of the mat to counter the circles on the left to provide the page with more balance.  The yellow tab at the top left, and the triangle on the right were from a printable pages I also got on the SC site.

I just love how the concept of one word turned into a complete evening of fun.  I think I will do more of this on my own.

No comments: