Monday, February 10, 2014

Stuck on U Sketches Project Life Challenge: Insta Capture: Heart Cut Outs

Stuck on U Sketches has a Project Life Challenge this week, where we are to use cut out hearts on our page.  I love to use negative space when die cutting so this one was right up my alley.  This is actually my page 2 of week 2. 

I wanted to relay my Sister in Laws' birthday party, and even used the topper from their cake as the Happy Birthday sign.  I also put a resolution in where I am going to make better bows on my cards using brighter ribbons and a new toy, the Bow it All  by Zutter.  Lastly was the fact that I started to bond with my Hubbie's new puppies, though I said I wouldn't. I let them in the house when we went into single digit temps here in Carolina.  They sure enjoyed playing in my scrap room, which needed vacuuming anyway...lol.


Three rows make 3 stories on one page. I love it!
I have recently discovered Studio Calico's Project Life kits.  Their site offers a  mixture of kits, paper, printouts, die cuts, stamps (digital and physical)  tools and they even have a class on Project Life that I am taking.  One of their digital files is the heart cutout that you in the second row. Using the negative space,  I backed the heart holes with American Craft's "Sweetest Thing" washi tape, sticky side up and then sprinkled them with white glitter, to give them a more frosty winter look.
I am learning that paper Project Life is a lot different than paper scrapping or even Digital Project Life.  It is like scrapping but every pocket is it's own page including the pictures. It will take some practice to make all of those mini pages blend together well into one unified page.  I opted to use color for this layout to give it more unity, but there are more tricks to come as you will see in my future pages.  I figured I should share what I learn, because there is so little out there on the web for PL other than examples without descriptions of methods.  It is an art to make flat pages have texture and dimension, and I am up to the challenge.
 
I think I am really going to like the paper version projects a lot better than digital because it stretches your creativity more when you have more three dimensional and textures to choose from.  I am doing something different this year.  I am not going to force myself to come up with a whole page if I don't have a whole page of content each week. It will relieve some of the pressure and I sort of like how the weeks sort of flow together as they do in real life. 
 
Head over to the Stuck on U Sketches blog and see what the other designers did with this challenge.  The talents of this team are limitless!


No comments: