Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tagged Treasures: Altered Book

Marion Smith did a class on Prima Live showing how to alter a book.  That was a FUN project.  I couldn't believe I did it.  My husband and I went to a  huge Flea Market in Hillsboro, VA the following weekend and there were some remarkable displays I wanted to rememver.  I also found toys I had when I was a child and took pictures of those.  They even had the old Boy Scout Canteen my brothers had that I was so jealous of when I was young.  I made a journal note card to add that information. I remember I finally got to use it when I went on my Brownie caming trip. The water tasted horrrible from it...LOL.  There were some really pretty views on the way up so I took pictures of those too. I still need to add my journaling and ribbons to my tags, but I am pretty pleased how it turned out.  It was a rare day where my husband and I woke at 5:00 AM, and spent the entire day together. 


















To alter the book, I painted the entire cover with Gesson  Then painted and Glimmer misted the dickens out of it.  I made my own flowers with the Cricut Flower Shoppe cartridge.  Added some Prima Bling and a sizzix die cut heart locket and a Tim Holts key hole.  What you do is glue a bunch of pages together, then tear out enough where embellishments will fit so the book still closes the same way. It takes a little planning but it is doable. I glimmer misted each page in the colors I saw in the many quilts they had there. I took  so many photos I ended up making tags and pockets to fit all of the ones I wanted to remember.  I used Art Philosophy for most of the cuts and pockets and tags,.  Paper Lace was used a little bit too, If you ever get a hold of an old book, this is a great way to transform it, This one was full of childhood classics,. I kept the map and title of Treasure Island but covered the Island, 

No comments: